Sunday, February 21, 2021

When Music is More

The pandemic has given artistic creators an unexpected freedom to experiment and collaborate in unique ways.  The popularity of the song I'm sharing today has its roots in social media platform TikTok, which I am neither young enough nor cool enough to use proficiently if I'm honest, but luckily a friend shared it with me.  TikTok has become a creative gold mine lately, as people have shared and written music together in formats which never existed before.  For this particular song, debut songwriter Jonah Kagen shared pieces of his music and lyrics on TikTok and asked other users to fill in gaps he left with their lyrics, creating beautiful mini duets and building connections with an audience, before eventually sharing his own completed version of it.  Although the collaborative community and creativity of the duets is inspiring to see unfold, the version Jonah Kagen wrote himself is unmatched, and what I feel compelled to share here.

Any more of my words added to the power of this song will only serve to dilute it.  You may hear your own prayer in the lyrics, or the desperate heart of someone God's called you to love, or something else altogether.  I hear a memory of several intertwined times God asked me to be a voice of faith and love to those doubting their worth and value, at the end of what they could bear alone.

I hope only that you hear more than mere music.  God is found so many places beyond church.


If you or someone you know is struggling past what you or they can handle, reach out for help.  You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using the internet does not excuse intolerance, and anonymity does not negate civility. Thanks for being thoughtful! :-)