Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Livin' On The Edge

I believe in God's truth. It's written all over the world around us, the situations we find ourselves in, the art created by people from every culture and walk of life ... Sure, God's message is in the Bible. But the same message is present as we rock out in our cars, study nature, skim through facebook posts, and watch reality t.v.; it's just edited and mixed to a different beat.

God's truth is true whether we hear it from the book of Hebrews, Alanis Morissette, a 19th century poet, or a rap version of the Aussie National Anthem. I've been lucky enough to find it in all of those, and God is creative enough to keep spinning His original material into fresh genres until we see Him and His truth in every direction.

This blog, inspired in part by the vision gained collaborating with the New Connections Band and in part by the like-hearted postings over at A Rock and Roll Devotional, aims to share a glimpse of God in places we may not be used to finding Him.  Here I'll share videos, music, poetry, prose, photos, a comic strip ... there is no boundary but that in some way a kernel of spiritual insight might be found.

So where to start with a new blog and a new year?  Those who have worked with me musically know I have to kick things off with a little Aerosmith.

If you might be offended by partial nudity or cross-dressing, or might miss the content of the lyrics because of the distraction of imagery, use this first video:
For those with a bit more edge in their soul, or for whom imagery might give more depth to the content of the lyrics, use this second video:

To me ... I must emphasize this point - all art is open to interpretation by the viewer, which is why it's such a perfect medium through which God can speak to an individual.  The artist's intention may not be where the value of a particular work lies for me personally - the value is where my heart and soul are touched and moved, and oftentimes that place is far from the starting point of the artists themselves ... To me, this song beautifully tells the tale of humanity.  A broken world, priorities far from God's, something feeling not quite right but at the same time so easy to find ourselves tangled up in it.  A struggle without, but also within, as we can't help but fall.  Every lyric of this song, and I encourage you to read them all, speaks a Biblical truth.
"there's something wrong with the world today"  ...the creation was subjected to futility ...creation itself [is in] bondage to corruption ...the whole creation has been groaning together ...  Romans 8 
"something's wrong with our eyes"   All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes ... there is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.  -Proverbs 16
"I can't help myself at all"   I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. ... I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.  -Romans 7
"if you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin ..."   There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female [interesting connection to the end of the second video], for you are all one in Christ Jesus.  -Galatians 3
My personal favorite is the refrain about Chicken Little, which I think can be taken into our hearts in a number of ways, so I'll let that one simmer on its own.

So what do we do with all this?  We take it in, we turn on the radio, and we listen for something between the lines that speaks to our spirit.  Happy New Year, here's to God's voice in the form of Steven Tyler!

Where do you find God mixed into the world around you?  Send me your thoughts, songs, etc. and I'll work them into a post.

2 comments:

  1. It is a joy to read your take on where the world intersects with the diving (we know this is a false split, but for those who don't). This is a glorious beginning and I can't wait to read more! God bless Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have you reading, Paul! Your daily devotions will be keeping the inspiration flowing, I'm sure!

      Delete

Using the internet does not excuse intolerance, and anonymity does not negate civility. Thanks for being thoughtful! :-)