Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Some Keep the Sabbath Going to Church -

I am short of words today, however I spent the wee hours of the night last night reconnecting with the great Emily Dickinson, so I will yield my blog to her this evening.  I asked her to give us a poem touching on the idea of finding God's message outside of the 'religious' realm:

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church - 
I keep it, staying at Home - 
With a Bobolink for a Chorister - 
And an Orchard, for a Dome -

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice - 
I, just wear my Wings - 
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church, 
Our little Sexton - sings. 

God preaches, a noted Clergyman -
And the sermon is never long, 
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last - 
I'm going, all along.

Miss Dickinson never fails to say the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using the internet does not excuse intolerance, and anonymity does not negate civility. Thanks for being thoughtful! :-)